Warm, buttery cornbread pairs well with many dishes year-round, but when combined with our delicious Sweet Holiday Butter, you’re in for a special treat to serve at your holiday gathering.
This easy to make cornbread from @millennialnonna is moist and flavorful, elevated with a little bit of "liquid gold" - browned butter for that extra dose of richness.
Here’s what you’ll need to create this sweet, buttery goodness for yourself:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Sweet Holiday Butter
- Sea salt (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Put the cast iron skillet into the oven as it preheats.
- Brown butter in a saucepan on medium heat, whisking consistently. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream, buttermilk, maple syrup, and brown sugar.
- Mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Pour the browned butter into the mixture and stir.
- Remove hot skillet and swirl around a tablespoon of butter to coat.
- Pour in batter and bake until golden brown, about 15 - 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Add a generous dollop of Sweet Holiday Butter to warm cornbread and baste the top, covering evenly.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then serve each slice with a dollop of Sweet Holiday Butter and a sprinkle of flakey sea salt. Enjoy!
Photo credit: Gianluca Gerardi