If you're looking for a delicious savory pastry recipe that's perfect for any occasion, you can't go wrong with these easy onion pastries inspired by @socialsami. These delectable appetizers are the perfect combination of flaky pastry dough, perfectly seasoned onion, and the steakhouse French Onion Soup-inspired flavors of our French Cuffs Seasoning.
You can customize this recipe to your liking – for a more savory taste, skip the honey. For a little sweet and savory taste combination, add in the honey with the balsamic glaze.
Here's how to make a tasty batch of these pastries for your next gathering (or fancy snack):
- 2 sheets of puff pastry, cut into rectangles
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 egg
- Sergio’s Seasoning (to taste)
- French Cuffs Seasoning (to taste)
- Dried thyme (to taste)
- Grated gruyere cheese (to taste)
- Balsamic glaze (to taste)
- Honey (optional)
- Preheat your oven to the temperature indicated on the pastry package, then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface, and cut each sheet into evenly-sized rectangles.
- Create a layer of olive oil with a basting brush, then add a drizzle of balsamic glaze. Add a drizzle of honey for the sweet and savory combination option.
- Place an onion slice on the oil and glaze layer, then sprinkle with thyme, Sergio’s Seasoning, French Cuffs Seasoning, and grated gruyere cheese to taste.
- Place a puff pastry sheet over the onion, gently pressing around the onion’s edges. Repeat the prior steps for the desired number of pastries.
- Baste each pastry sheet with a layer of beaten egg, then bake the pastries in the preheated oven as instructed on the pastry package, or until they are golden brown and slightly puffed up.
- Remove the pastries from the oven and allow them to cool slightly before serving.
David Todd McCarty