March is the month of green, not only because it contains the start of spring and everything starts to come back to life again, but also because of our beloved Saint Patrick’s Day.
What better way to spring into this beautiful weather and festivities than adding green to your celebrations, barbecues, and parties this March?
Spring into green deliciousness with this comfort food recipe - a rich and creamy side that adds unforgettable flavor to any meal and will leave you longing for more.
Try out our favorite creamed spinach recipe that we serve at the Steer, or make it for yourself at home with our cookbook - Golden Steer Steakhouse Las Vegas.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 teaspoon Pernod
- 1 tablespoon fresh-grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Roux
How to Make the Roux:
A Roux is super simple to make, and it requires only 2 ingredients. For this recipe, it requires only oil and flour, and it produces a light-colored (“white”) Roux. This Roux is a staple in the kitchen for the Golden Steer chefs, as it acts as a thickening agent for sauces and comes in quite handy for countless Steer recipes!
- In a sauté pan or stockpot, combine 1 part olive oil and 1 part flour over low heat.
- Mix them well, stirring the Roux frequently while it cooks, until it reaches the consistency of a smooth paste.
- Remove it from the heat and store it until ready to use.
- In a small stockpot over low heat, add the spinach, heavy cream, garlic, shallots, butter, and Pernod. Mix well to combine.
- Let simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the Parmesan and the Roux.
Keep this savory side warm until you’re ready to serve it. Whether it’s a beginning of spring gathering or Saint Patrick’s Day party, this side dish is sure to be the first to go.
Photo Credit: Nathan Nugent