The perfect cookout weather has finally emerged, after long last, and now more than ever is the best time to have your steak cookout!
Whether you’re grilling for one or are wanting to host friends and family, here is a grilling checklist so that you’re all revved up and ready to grill the best steak of your life.
Be fully prepared with this list, so that you can focus on the beautiful weather and drink in your hand instead of last minute uh-ohs.
The Best Steak:
First thing’s first - get the best steak ever!
- Make sure you pick out USDA prime beef (checkout what USDA prime beef is and what makes it the best)
- Decide what the perfect cut of steak for you is (see our guide on the how to choose the best cut of steak)
- Make sure you plan ahead and don’t leave your steaks in the freezer for too long after purchasing them (check our guide about freezing and storing steaks)
- Make sure you plan ahead and thaw your steak correctly and safely (checkout our guide on how to thaw your steak)
Plan ahead and make sure you have all your grilling equipment that you need!
To have on hand:
- Instant read thermometer (see our guide on steak doneness)
- Grill fork
- Grill glove
- Apron (when grilling an amazing steak, always prepare for a possible mess)
- Gas or charcoal
- Aluminum foil - so you can cover it afterwards and let it rest (checkout biggest mistakes and how to avoid them when cooking steak)
- Oil - one that does good in high heat (checkout how to grill your steak the right way)
- The perfect finishing touches for your steak (our Maitre d’ Butter and Au Jus)
- Salt and pepper and/or Sergio’s Seasoning (checkout how to season your steak like a pro ahead of time or, if you want to be more adventurous, checkout these 7 steak crusts that add amazing flavor)
- Towel (trusts us, you will need it!)
Every amazing steak needs sides that are equally amazing. Whether you want to grill those sides alongside your steak or whip them up in the kitchen, here are some delicious starch and veggie sides that are easy to make and will go beautifully with your steak:
- Checkout the top 5 veggies to grill this summer
- Checkout 10 great side dishes any steak dinner
- Checkout out our amazing and easy garlic bread recipe
- If you’re wanting some light starters to kick off the meal, checkout 5 light hors d’oeuvres
- If you’re longing for something warm and comforting, checkout our signature creamed spinach side
- If you want to fancy up your veggie side, checkout these bacon wrapped asparagus bundles
There’s only one thing that makes grilling the best steak of your life on a warm summer’s day even more amazing - having an equally amazing drink in your hand.
- If you’re a wine drinker, checkout our wine of the month that will bring out the best in your steak.
- If you’re looking for something colder and with a little more oomph, checkout our Gold Fashioned cocktail recipe that’s our personal spin on a good old fashion here at the Steer.
Be sure to have other beverages on hand as well, especially if you’re grilling for a group and it’s warm out. Don’t forget:
- Water (lots of it!)
- Cold beers
- Sodas, lemonade, and/or iced tea for those hankering for something not so boozy
- And of course, be sure to never forget your bottle opener and corkscrew!
With this checklist, you’re all prepared to enjoy the best grilled steak of your life, alongside the best sides and drinks for your cookout.
The only thing better than fresh from the grill steak is the steak leftovers (if there are any). If you end up with some, checkout these 4 ways to enjoy your steak leftovers!
Photo credit: Skitter Photo