We are in the midst of lobster season, and here at the Golden Steer Steakhouse we know how wonderful perfectly butterflied and broiled lobster can be - an absolute wonder for the eyes and the stomach.
To perform this magic at home, follow these simple steps on how we butterfly and broil our lobster.
How to Butterfly Lobster:
First thing’s first, be sure to defrost your lobster tails by leaving them in the refrigerator overnight. Then, to beautify your lobster and prep it for broiling,
- Pat the lobster tail dry. This helps to ensure that you don’t lose your grip when cutting the shell.
- Using kitchen shears or scissors, cut the outer shell down the middle. Stop just before the bottom of the shell and make 2 small cuts to form a “T”.
- Gently pull the two shell halves apart - just enough to be able to lift out the lobster meat.
- To lift the lobster meat out of the shell, gently separate the meat from the back of the shell, making sure that it remains intact and that you stop before you get to the bottom of the shell.
- Lift the meat over the shell, and close the empty shell so that the lobster meat rests on top.
Your lobster is now ready to be broiled!
How to Broil Lobster:
For delicious broiled lobster tails, follow these quick steps.
What You Need:
- Lobster tails
- Lobster butter (clarified butter - included in our lobster box)
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
What To Do:
- Place your rack in the middle of the oven and set the oven to broil.
- Let the oven warm up for 10 minutes.
- Heat up your lobster butter and separate it into two bowls (one for cooking and one for dipping).
- Add a pinch of paprika to your lobster butter for cooking, and brush a little bit of it on the tails.
- Add salt and pepper to the tails (to taste).
- Place the lobster tails in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the meal is opaque and no longer translucent.
- When they’re finished broiling, their internal temperature should be 145°F (check them with an instant read thermometer).
- Brush a little more of the cooking butter on the tails.
Your broiled lobster tails are finished and all ready to be dipped into the remaining butter (something that is a must-do at the Steer). Enjoy!
To up your lobster game, have our Jumbo Western Australian lobster tails shipped directly to you and create this masterpiece in the comfort of your own home with our top pick of lobster.
Check out why this is our preference of lobster, and, if you’re up for adventure, four other easy and delicious ways to cook these beauties at home and to keep everything simple and time friendly.