When you choose a Tomahawk cut of beef, you choose the most beautiful cut of beef money can buy, and it’s incredibly delicious - buttery, soft, marbled, and tender, and with a little love, it comes out like magic on the grill.
Throw your Tomahawk and some fresh veggies on the grill, and when given a little love and the correct care, this will be the best steak of your life... and a perfect summer meal to feed yourself or even a large group of people at your next backyard cookout.
Try this simple and delicious grilled garlic butter Tomahawk recipe from F - Words, pair it with grilled fresh garlic basil veggies from Damn Delicious, and you have an easy and amazing summer meal - with the best steak ever. The original recipe calls for salt and pepper, but we're elevating it with Sergio's Seasoning!
Ingredients - The Tomahawk:
- Tomahawk steak (one 40 ounce)
- 3 tablespoons Sergio's Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 garlic bulb
- 3 basil leaves (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon chives (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 parsley leaves
- Sergio's Seasoning (a pinch)
Ingredients - The Vegetables:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus (trimmed)
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes (stemmed)
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms (halved)
- 2 ears corn (each cut crosswise into 4 pieces)
- 2 zucchini (quartered lengthwise)
- Sergio's Seasoning (to taste)
Basil Garlic Sauce:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons packed fresh parsley leaves
- Sergio's Seasoning (to taste)
Directions - The Tomahawk:
Steak - Prep Ahead:
- On a dry and clean surface, pat your steak dry.
- Season your steak generously with Sergio's Seasoning and garlic powder.
- On a wire rack, place your steak to dry brine in the fridge uncovered (for 1-24 hours).
Butter - Prep Ahead:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Wrap half a garlic bulb in foil and roast it for 20 minutes in the oven.
- Soften the butter in a bowl, and then add the Sergio's Seasoning and herbs.
- Then, combine the roasted garlic into the butter and mix well.
- Roll the butter into plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
Steak - Cook it up:
- Remove your steak from the refrigerator, and let it sit at room temperature (30 minutes - 1 hour).
- Preheat your grill with dual heating zones by putting the coals on one side of the grill and none on the other, or turn on only half the burners (leave the middle one off).
- Place the steak on indirect heat on the grill and close the lid (make sure the vents are open to allow air flow).
- Cook the steak for 20-40 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 130°F (use an instant-read thermometer, no guesswork here!) to attain a medium-rare level of doneness (or check out our guide to find your perfect level of doneness).
- Once it has reached that temperature, transfer the steak to the direct heat (right over the coals or burners that are on), and sear it for 2 minutes.
- Flip the steak, add 2 slices of compound butter, and then sear it for another 2 minutes, and then remove it from the grill.
Directions - The Vegetables:
Vegetables and Basil Garlic Sauce:
- Preheat your grill to medium heat.
- To make the basil garlic sauce, combine the olive oil, vinegar, Dijon, garlic, basil, and parsley in a food processor until it’s smooth and vibrant green. Season it, to taste, with Sergio's Seasoning, and then set it aside.
- Brush the asparagus, tomatoes, mushrooms, corn, and zucchini with olive oil, and then sprinkle with Sergio's Seasoning, to taste.
- Throw the veggies on the grill and continue to turn them occasionally, until they are lightly charred all over (about 3-4 minutes for the asparagus, tomatoes, and mushrooms, and about 5-8 minutes for the corn and zucchini).
After removing your steak from the grill, be sure to let it rest for at least 10 minutes before digging in so that you don’t lose that amazing juiciness that you worked so hard for! Enjoy this beauty with your grilled veggies and basil garlic sauce, and be sure to relish the summertime flavors seeping out in every bite.
For more amazing side dish ideas for your Tomahawk masterpiece, check out our list of amazing steak dinner sides.
Leave a comment