French onion soup is a classic dish that has been enjoyed for centuries. It is a simple yet flavorful soup that is perfect for a cozy night in or for impressing guests at your next gathering.
The key to making a great French onion soup is cooking the onions to bring out their natural sweetness, and using the right seasoning blend for a rich and savory flavor. We’re putting a Vegas spin on this classic soup by bringing in our new French Cuffs Seasoning, which was inspired by the Steakhouse’s timeless French Onion soup recipe.
With notes of onion, garlic, and lemon pepper, this seasoning is sure to make this soup (or any others in your repertoire) unforgettable.
Here’s what you’ll need to make some for yourself:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- Sergio’s Seasoning (to taste)
- French Cuffs Seasoning (to taste)
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cups of beef broth or stock
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- Pinch of paprika
- Grated parmesan cheese
- 12 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 Baguette, sliced
- Heat the olive oil in a stockpot over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, Sergio’s Seasoning, French Cuffs Seasoning, and bay leaves.
- Cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef stock, beef base, and white wine.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Ladle the soup into ovenproof bowls, discarding the bay leaves.
- Top with a slice of baguette (whole or in pieces), 3 slices of Swiss cheese, and a pinch of parmesan and paprika.
- Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve.