Mothers are often the heart of the home and the kitchen. They have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to cooking and have likely passed down many cherished recipes over the years. These recipes often hold a special place in our hearts and are a celebrated part of our family traditions.
In this special recipe shared for this Mother’s Day by @millennialnonna, a family favorite crumb cake recipe has been given a new twist by bringing in the bananas foster-inspired flavor of our Flambé Butter. This delicious cake is easy to make and perfect for a Mother’s Day brunch or gathering with loved ones.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it for your special day:
- 4oz Flambé Butter
- 3 sticks of softened butter
- 1 box of yellow cake mix & ingredients to bake as directed (eggs, vegetable oil)
- 4 cups of flour
- 2 heaping cups of sugar
- 8 tablespoons of cinnamon (or more, to taste)
- Confectionary sugar (to taste)
- Prepare the yellow cake according to box directions.
- Bake for half of the baking time in a greased baking pan, or until the top of the cake is cooked enough to place the crumbs on top of the cake.
- In a very large bowl, add all of the crumb ingredients and use your hands to mix together and form large crumbs.
- Cover the top of the half-baked cake with the entire crumb mixture.
- Place cake back in the oven and bake for remaining time as indicated on the box.
- Crumbs should be slightly hardened and cake should be cooked all the way through when finished cooking (do a clean toothpick test on the center to check for doneness).
- Wait until cooled and then sprinkle with confectionery sugar.
Photo credit: Skyler Ewing