Banana Upside Down Cake is a delightful twist on the classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake. This dessert is perfect for using up ripe bananas and is a crowd-pleaser for any occasion. The caramelized banana topping adds a sweet and decadent flavor to the buttery cake for a tasty contrast.
Serve this cake warm or at room temperature, and don't forget to add a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for the ultimate indulgence!
Here’s how to make this over-the-top dessert for your next gathering:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Flambé Butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
Caramelized Banana Topping:
- 4 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup Flambé Butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan and set it aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the Flambé Butter over medium heat.
- Add the brown sugar, stirring until dissolved. Let the mixture cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, until it thickens slightly.
- Pour the caramel mixture into the prepared cake pan, spreading it evenly across the bottom of the pan. Arrange the sliced bananas on top of the caramel mixture, covering the entire bottom of the pan.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, cream together the Flambé Butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture until thoroughly mixed into a batter.
- Pour the cake batter over the caramelized banana topping in the cake pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake the cake for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake, then invert the cake onto a serving plate.
- Serve the cake warm, topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.